From the many conversations our team members have had with students eager to begin their careers in banking, we’ve found that some of their primary areas of interest include how to stand apart from the crowd - and how CWB can help them launch their careers on the right path. Read on to learn how you can better prepare for your next interview and land that job.
Standing out in a crowded talent pool
1. How can I differentiate myself as a candidate?
Get to know CWB and what we’re about. Take a tour of our website and learn about who we are and what we value. Understanding what makes us tick will help you to determine if the opportunity aligns with your values, career path and experience. Once you have that knowledge, you will be in a great place to write a great cover letter and resume that better positions you as the right candidate.
2. What are you looking for in both a resume and an interview? Demonstrate you understand the job you’re applying for. Read the posting, be precise and focus your resume on your key accomplishments then tell us how that applies.
In an interview, make sure you listen — really listen to the questions and give concrete examples in your responses. Do your research and ask informed questions. Overall, think about what you bring to the table and tell us why we should hire you.
3. What are the top skills CWB is looking for? We seek difference makers, highly focused, impactful and engaged team players with the desire and ability to make things happen for our clients or our internal teams through:
- Sales – relationship builders & networkers
- Sales support – analysts, number crunchers, detail gurus
- Sales leadership – dynamic & impactful leaders
Top questions from students about a career with CWB and what we offer
1. What kind of entry-level positions are available at CWB? If you’re interested in a sales, support or leadership role within a growing organization, chances are we have a challenging and rewarding opportunity of interest to you. Entry level positions generally focus on customer service, administrative support or coordination of programs, projects, or departments.
There are also internship opportunities available as well as our Management Associate program, which is a great way to fast-track your career as a new graduate. Graduates are hired into one-year, full-time positions and work through a number of roles and responsibilities across the organization. This program is a great way to launch a career as a business banker.
A full listing of opportunities is available at cwbcareers.com.
2. What is it like working at CWB? What is the company culture like? What do you like about working a CWB?
CWB’s approach to business is straightforward: we work hard and with integrity, we practice common-sense thinking, we’re accountable for our actions and we care about our people.
Our culture is people-focused at its core: decisions take into account the individuals behind the titles and how choices have impact on the lives of staff. We are also an inclusive, change-focused organization with a very bright future!3. What would my development path look like? Are there specific career paths in the organization?
Career paths can vary depending on the ambitions and desires of the individual.
We ensure performance assessments and career objectives are reviewed consistently and frequently with managers. This ensures each employee’s career path objectives are aligned and realigned as they grow professionally and as the organization grows and evolves.
4. How does CWB support continued education? Do you offer any internships or training programs?
We believe ongoing learning is essential for continued career development. While the majority of learning comes from day-to-day experiences and relationships, formal courses are an important component of any career development plan.
Depending on eligibility, CWB provides financial support in part or full for job specific, career development focused and other type of formal education. These can range from individual courses to degrees and even MBAs. CWB also has an internal learning platform, which allows employees learn at their own pace.
Embarking on your career journey with CWB
At CWB, we have a shared sense of ownership and personal pride as employees. And we also share a sense of dedication, determination and commitment to excellence, which permeates not only how we work but also how we give back to our communities through the various community programs and initiatives we support.
We see the combination of diversity and inclusion as essential to business – with our core strength being our people. And this could be you! If you’re interested in pursuing a rewarding career with an organization that recognizes dedication and supports your growth, check out our current career opportunities to find the right one for you.