How to open a new personal account
Click-along with this demo or scan the steps below
Before you begin
- Self identify - if you are a new client to CWB, these instructions are for you!
- Grab your mobile phone and ID (like a Driver’s License) and please read on.
Step 1: Getting started
- When you’re ready select “Start my Application."
Step 2: Contact information
- Next you will be asked for your e-mail address and mobile phone number and to verify you are not a robot.
- We will use your mobile phone number to send you a 4 to 7 digit security token.
- Once the token SMS/text arrives on your mobile device enter it in the space provided on your digital application and select “continue.”
Step 3: Account selection
- Next you will select the type or types of accounts you want. Each type of account includes a brief description and summary of fees. Select the account that is right for you.
- You will also be asked if you are opening a joint account with another person.
- Once you have selected your account(s) select “next” to continue.
Step 4: Eligibility
- Confirm you meet the eligibility requirements and select “next.”
Step 5: About you
- You can choose to scan your Driver’s License or skip that step and fill in your personal information manually including: your name, address, how long you have lived at that address, your date of birth, occupation and optionally your Social Insurance Number (SIN).
Step 6: About your co-applicant
- If you are opening a joint account, you will be asked to provide some information about them including their name, email address and phone number.
Step 7: Security question
- To help ensure your account is secure you will be prompted to select a security question and provide an answer to the question.
- You will also be asked if you would like a debit card.
- Select next to continue.
Step 8: Content, disclosure and agreements
- Please select the check box next to your name to signify you are giving CWB your consent to collect, use and store your personal information.
- Select “next” to continue.
- Select the check box to accept all disclosures and agreements.
- Select “next” to continue.
Step 9: Approval
- You will see your account approval and your Personal Access Number or PAN.
- Please record this number and keep it safe. You will need your PAN to access your account.
- You will also be asked to choose and confirm a Personal Access Code.
Step 10: Funding your account
- Select how you would like to fund your account and click “next” to continue.
- A confirmation email will be sent to the email address you provided.
- You're finished!
Questions about opening a personal account online? We have your answer!
What kind of an account can I open online?
Prospective CWB clients can open the following chequing and savings accounts through our online application:
- Apex Account, Standard Chequing Account, Student Account, Gold Leaf Plus
- Summit Savings Account
Find out more about the different accounts we offer here.
If you're already a CWB client, you may log into your online banking to open additional accounts, or email us at [email protected], and we'll be happy to help.
If I open a personal account using the online application system, can I go to any branch if I need other products or services?
Can I open a joint account online?
Yes, you can do this using our online application.
A couple of notes before you apply:
- To open a joint account, both applicants must be new to CWB. If either applicant is already a CWB client, please contact one of our branches for assistance.
- Since you’ll be sharing one or more accounts with another person, we'll need to know a little about that person. During the application process we'll ask you for their first and last name, as well as their email address and mobile phone number. We’ll use this information to contact your co-applicant about this application, in accordance with our CWB Financial Group Privacy Statement.
- Joint accounts are treated as individual accounts until your co-applicant has completed their application and been approved by CWB. Until this happens, you will be solely responsible for these accounts.