Online Account Opening FAQ
What kind of an account can I open online?
Apex Account, Standard Chequing Account, Student Account, Gold Leaf Plus
Summit Savings Account
If you don't see the account you're looking for, see our full list of products here.
If you're already a CWB client, you may log into your online banking to open additional accounts, or email us at [email protected], and we'll be happy to help.
What do I need to open an online account?
To complete the account opening process through our online application, you'll need your personal details and, optionally, your Social Insurance Number and driver's licence. You'll also need a mobile phone so we can text you information to help secure your application.
Can I save my application and resume later?
Yes. You can complete your application over multiple sessions or days, as we automatically save all of the information you provide. If you take a break for your application, we'll send you an e-mail with instructions on how to resume it later.
Can I open a joint account online?
Yes, you can do this using our online application.
A couple of notes before you apply:
- To open a joint account, both applicants must be new to CWB. If either applicant is already a CWB client, please contact one of our branches for assistance.
- Since you’ll be sharing one or more accounts with another person, we'll need to know a little about that person. During the application process we'll ask you for their first and last name, as well as their email address and mobile phone number. We’ll use this information to contact your co-applicant about this application, in accordance with our CWB Financial Group Privacy Statement.
- Joint accounts are treated as individual accounts until your co-applicant has completed their application and been approved by CWB. Until this happens, you are solely responsible for these accounts.
What if my co-applicant is already a CWB client?
To open a joint account, both applicants must be new to CWB. If either applicant is already a CWB client, please contact one of our branches for assistance.
How do I fund my new account?
You will have the option to fund your new account in the following ways:
- Interac e-transfer - log into your new account and transfer funds instantly using email or a mobile phone.
- Remote Deposit Capture-Sign into your new account and deposit funds using a mobile phone. (Funds may be held for 5 business days.)
- From your Motive Financial account. (If you are a Motive Financial client.)
- By cheque.
You may also choose to skip this step.
What if I don't know what type of account I need?
What is my security question for?
We use your security question as a way to verify it's you.
How do I find the email to resume my application?
Please check your junk mail if you don't see an email from us after you save your application.
Will I receive spam if I provide my email address?
No one likes to receive spam. That's why we'll only send you information in accordance with our CWB Financial Group Privacy Statement.
Is my credit score affected?
No, the deposit inquiry credit score will show up as a "deposit inquiry" and will not impact your credit score.
How is my personal information used/shared?
The primary purpose for our collection and use of your personal information is so that we may deliver the products and services you request, and that are suited for your needs. Please review our CWB Financial Group Privacy Statement for more information.
How long does it take to hear from CWB if my application is under review?
The address on my Drivers License is not my currrent address, can I still use it to scan my ID and open an account?
Yes, you can still use your drivers license for the initial scan. You'll need to manually update your address once your ID has been scanned.
The ID scan didn't work, what do I do now?
Don't worry, you can skip the ID scan and enter your information manually instead.
What's my Social Insurance Number (SIN) used for?
Your SIN is used to help verify your identity and your credit score. Although you're not required to provide this information, it greatly increases the chance of your application being approved.
Can I open an account online if I file taxes in another country (other than Canada)?
Our online application process is only available to tax residents of Canada.
I'm a Quebec resident, can I bank with CWB?
We're unable to open accounts for residents of Quebec at this time. However, CWB clients can still have accounts while in Quebec -- through online banking, points of sale and ATM networks.